Gambling in the way?
Sometimes you don’t realise how much you’re missing out on because of gambling.
You may not think gambling is a problem, but if you’re stuck at home while your mates are out having fun because you’ve blown your money on gambling, then it’s time to stop and think because your gambling’s stopping you from enjoying your life.
You can take the risk assessment quiz to see if gambling might be a concern for you.
You should also consider the following tips
- Set your limit on the amount of money you are willing to spend on gambling
- Leave your credit cards and debit cards at home. Cards = cash.
- Don’t chase your losses – accept that money spent is gone
- Avoid asking mates for money if you’ve run out
- Keep an eye on your alcohol intake and don’t take drugs. The more intoxicated you are, the more likely you are to spend.
- Set yourself time limits and remember to take breaks. Keep an eye on the clock and don’t gamble over the time you’ve set yourself
- Try not to get into competition and spend more than you can afford
- Don’t gamble when you are experiencing emotional stresses – these can drive you to spend much more than you would otherwise
If you are concerned about your gambling, you can
- Call Gamblers Help on 1800 858 858 for free confidential 24 hour services
- Visit GamblingHelpOnline for counselling, information and support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week